1 praise, glorify, or honor; "extol the virtues of one's children"; "glorify one's spouse's cooking" [syn: laud, extol, glorify, proclaim]
2 fill with sublime emotion; tickle pink (exhilarate is obsolete in this usage); "The children were thrilled at the prospect of going to the movies"; "He was inebriated by his phenomenal success" [syn: exhilarate, inebriate, thrill, beatify]
3 heighten or intensify; "These paintings exalt the imagination" [syn: inspire, animate, invigorate, enliven]
4 raise in rank, character, or status; "exalted the humble shoemaker to the rank of King's adviser"
EtymologyFrom Latin exaltare
Exalt is a word which means to praise, glorify, honor, intensify, or heighten. It is most often used in religious contexts.
Exalt and the related term exaltation may refer to:
- Exaltation (Mormonism), a state of being divine or close to God. It also has a broader non-Latter-Day Saints theological meaning of "trance".
- Feast of the Cross, or "Exaltation of the Cross", an Orthodox Christian holiday
- Exaltation (astrology), the second strongest essential dignity of a planet
- The Exalter (Islam), one of the 99 names of Allah, God in Islam.
- Exalted is a role-playing game produced by White Wolf.
- Exalt is a NetworkManager for the Enlightenment DR17 desktop shell.
- "Exalted" is the highest reputation rank in the MMORPG World of Warcraft.
- "Exaltation" is used to describe a feeling that accommodates LSD drugs (Porcupine Tree - Voyage 34 - Part 1).
exalt in French: Exaltation
exalt in Finnish: Eksaltaatio
acclaim, accord respect to, add to, admire, adore, adulate, advance, aggrandize, amplify, animate, apotheose, apotheosize, appreciate, arouse, augment, awaken, beatify, belaud, bepraise, bless, bless the Lord, blow up, boast of, boost, brag about, broaden, build, build up, canonize, celebrate, cleanse, consecrate, crown, cry up, dedicate, deepen, defer to, deify, devote, dignify, distinguish, doxologize, elate, electrify, elevate, emblazon, encourage, enhance, enlarge, ennoble, enshrine, entertain respect for, enthrone, erect, esteem, eulogize, excite, expand, extend, extol, fatten, favor, fill out, fire, flatter, flush, glamorize, glorify, glorify the Lord, graduate, hallow, heighten, hero-worship, hike, hike up, hold in esteem, hold in reverence, honor, hymn, idolize, immortalize, increase, inflate, inform, inspire, inspirit, intensify, jack up, jump up, kick upstairs, knight, laud, lengthen, lift, lionize, look up to, magnify, make legendary, make much of, maximize, overpraise, panegyrize, parlay, pass, pay tribute, pedestal, pique, porter aux nues, praise, praise God, prefer, prize, promote, puff, puff up, purify, put up, pyramid, quicken, raise, regard, respect, revere, reverence, saint, salute, sanctify, set apart, set up, sharpen, sing praises, spirit up, spur, stimulate, stir up, sublime, thicken, think highly of, think much of, think well of, throne, trumpet, up, upgrade, uplift, upraise, venerate, worship